You want your meeting or conference to have a huge impact – to be fuelling inspiration for months afterward. For that to happen, the ideas shared from presenters, in breakout sessions and in small groups need to take root in the participants’ hearts and minds.
All the research shows that people retain information better – and longer – when it’s conveyed through words and images, rather than words alone. The more senses we engage, the more thorough our understanding. And our visual sense trumps them all. So at conferences and other events, I help you see what you’re saying by mapping your conversation visually.
Give Your Attendees an “Aha!” Moment
Graphic recording is one of the best tools I know for enriching and deepening the group experience. Each chart evolves in real time, as the presenters and participants speak. I listen for key concepts, along with nuances and thematic connections, and capture them in words and images on large, wall-sized paper.
As people see their thoughts take concrete shape, they become increasingly engaged, animated, inspired. The meeting buzzes with energy as their ideas take on dimension and colour, thematic dots are connected, and the big picture begins to emerge. The dynamic visual “maps” that result are treasured artifacts that are referred back to over and over and shared with others, planting seeds for still deeper insights and ongoing conversation.
My greatest joy comes in those moments when the people I work with access new insights and perspectives through the visual maps I create. There’s great power in showing people they’ve been heard, and supporting them in creating shared meaning and understanding.
These are the ingredients that combine to spark “Aha!” moments in your meetings and gatherings.
Benefits of Graphic Recording:
- Captures ideas where everyone can see and engage with them.
- Distills ideas to their essence and increases clarity.
- Organizes ideas by drawing connections and relationships.
- Brings metaphors and stories to life.
- Includes all learning styles: auditory, visual, and kinaesthetic learners can all benefit.
- Honours people’s contributions and shows them they’ve been heard.
- Stimulates imagination and creativity, and opens up different modes of perception.
- Generates clear and engaging meeting documentation.
- Makes your gatherings much, much more FUN!
See examples from my portfolio.